Does it smack of exaggeration when saying that I am dying to drive and take road trips? No, I really do. This time i’ ll take my fat lady (nick name of my beloved C3 picasso car) and I’ ll drive from Zurich, CH to my home town Thessaloniki, GR, through Munich, Wien, Budapest, Belgrade.
I couldn’t spend too much time on proper preparations (ok, I have to be honest with you, I dislike this messy work before a trip) but definitely i took the eight substantial measures that I should have adopt, at least according to me – before starting such a road trip.
1. Check thoroughly your car – everything has to be in an excellent condition – technical surprises should be 100% avoided
2. Check your insurance and road assistance – has to be valid to all the countries that you will pass by
3. Download the google maps (in case you run out of data)
4. Check your mobile connection – nowadays, roaming is a must
5. Book your accommodation in cozy-comfortable hotels – if there is no too much time available, you have to seek real relax in your night staying, do not accept any discounts on that
6. Check your personal data documents and your bank account cards – again, no need for surprises
7. Have in mind a plan B – you never know …
but most importantly
8. use extreme caution when you pick your travel mate (buddy, partner … whatever). He/she/they have to add value to your trip. Mine, Roula Tsakalaki surely does.
See you soon my friends, I’ ll keep you posted to this adventure. Meanwhile, you may send to me any comments or/and proposals and of course your positive vibes.
Hey Helen 🙂
Here are some useful tips for you :
1. Decide whether you stop over 1 or 2 times
2. Go through Germany- Austria-Slovenia-Croatia-Serbia-Fyrom, you gain a couple of hours for sure
3. Whenever you stop for gas tanking, always clean carefully your windscreen and back one as well
4. Get bananas and chewing gums with you, they help you stay awake.
5. Buy Vignettes before entering these countries : Austria-Slovenia. The others have toll stations that also accept cards
6. Leave early in morning
Hope it helps, done it a number of times in fact 🙂
hi John, thank you for your valuable tips. All noted!
Wow cuz this is really great job! Congrats and keep it up.
Thank you for your kind words, I’ll do my best 🙂